The Trust has been extremely busy working at the Former ASARCO Smelter Site to ensure a safe demolition and thorough investigation/remediation process. Our project goals for 2013 include the following:
- Install the liners for the Category I landfill facility (Cell 4). This activity is a necessary pre-cursor to the disposal of materials at the site and is also the first step in the arroyo restoration process. To date the remedy has identified Category I material from Cell 3, the demolition activities, and the East Side. These materials will be placed in the landfill and then capped with an evapotranspirative cover.
- Place and compact Category II soils from current stockpiles and removal areas at locations on the plant site approved by TCEQ.
- Continue monitoring the field demonstration installation of the two permeable reactive barriers installed in Parker Brothers Arroyo. These permeable reactive barriers are the first step in the groundwater remedy for the site.
- Finish construction of the Interim Channel to convey clean storm water through Parker Brothers Arroyo.
- Excavate potential source material for chemicals of concern in the groundwater from the Ephemeral Pond, located between I-10 and the Plant Property.
- Complete the design of the Upper Reach and East Property as part of the surface water and groundwater management program.
- Complete pre-design activities for east side clean groundwater hydraulic control system.
- Perform pre-design activities for plant-site southern arroyo insitu treatment systems.
- Complete the Remedial Investigation Report for submittal to TCEQ.
- Continue coordination with adjacent property owners regarding additional engineering projects: TxDOT (construction of the Border Highway West), EPWU (construction of 48-inch waterline), IBWC (American Canal reconstruction), El Paso Electric (power pole replacement project).
We invite you to explore this website as it is constantly updated with the latest versions of our reports and findings. As we strive for an open public participation process, please contact us with any questions. Thank you for visiting www.RecastingTheSmelter.com.
Preliminary Chemical Analysis of Dust Monitors Now Available
26 APR 2013
The laboratory analysis and data evaluation from dust examples collected during the ASARCO stack demolition event are now available.
The results of the data evaluation show that dust mitigation measures taken on April 13, 2013 during the stack demolition event were effective in preventing health concerns.
This data is currently being reviewed by TCEQ and EPA.
Preliminary Dust Monitoring Data is Now Available
18 APR 2013
The preliminary results from the dust monitoring network, for the former ASARCO Smelter site stacks demolition, is now available at www.RecastingtheSmelter.com. The data indicates that the dust controls were effective.