The Trust has been extremely busy working at the Former ASARCO Smelter Site making progress with the investigation/remediation process. We are nearing the end of remediation and this should be the last year of active remediation at the Site. Additionally, the Trust is currently in negotiations regarding the ultimate disposition of the property. Please view this news article for additional information.
We invite you to explore this website as it is frequently being updated with the latest versions of our reports and findings. This includes TCEQâ€™s approvals of various environmental components, such as TCEQâ€™s approval of the 2014 Field Demonstration of Zerovalent Iron Treatment Technology in Parker Brotherâ€™s Arroyo.
As we strive for an open public participation process, please contact us with any questions. Thank you for visiting www.RecastingTheSmelter.com.
Site Custodial Trustee
Community Meeting Announcement
A Community Meeting regarding the Former ASARCO Smelter Site is currently being scheduled for June 16, 2016. The purpose of this meeting is to inform the public of the current status of the site remediation.
Downtown Main Library
501 N Oregon
El Paso, TX 79901
Additional information will be provided if available.
Visit the Trustâ€™s website: www.recastingthesmelter.com.
Press Release: Site Incident – May 30, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
There was a fatal incident at the former ASARCO Smelter Site in El Paso on May 30, 2015, involving an employee of a sub-contractor who is doing work at the Site. The sub-contractorâ€™s employee had completed his assigned work for the day. He was not performing an assigned task at the time of the incident. He was found in an area that is restricted to all site personnel.
The El Paso Police Department and OSHA are currently investigating this matter; the Trust will have no further statements until those investigations are complete.
The Trustâ€™s thoughts are with the family of the deceased.
Roberto Puga, Custodial Trustee
The Trust’s 2015 Project Goals
- Complete filling of the Category I landfill facility (Cell 4) and install the final cover system.
- Complete all remaining on-site soil removals.
- Obtain design approval and permits to construct the final cover and drainage system on the plant site.
- Conclude monitoring of the field demonstration installation of the two permeable reactive barriers installed in Parker Brothers Arroyo (PBA).
- Finish construction of the Channel to convey clean storm water through PBA.
- Obtain design approval and permits to construct the East Property outlets and Upper Reach drainage systems that completes the lined channel from east of I-10 to Paisano.
- Obtain design approval and permits to construct the cover system over the Fines Pile.
- Obtain design approval and permits to construct the east side clean groundwater hydraulic control system.
- Continue coordination with adjacent property owners regarding additional engineering projects: TxDOT (construction of the Border Highway West), IBWC (American Canal reconstruction), El Paso Electric (power pole replacement project).
- Replace the existing electrical power service with new 13.kV electrical power system.
- Continue to monitor air quality.
- Continue to monitor groundwater and storm water in accordance with the approved monitoring plan.