The Trust has been extremely busy working at the Former ASARCO Smelter Site. We are currently on the last phase of the project and the Trust is in negotiations regarding the ultimate disposition and sale of the property. Please note that to ensure future maintenance, money from the property sale will go into a trust to be used for monitoring ground water and air quality in perpetuity.
Please view this news article for additional information.
We invite you to explore this website as it is frequently being updated with the latest versions of our reports and findings. Please click here to view the TCEQâ€™s Approval of the Revised Final Conceptual Site Model, August 3, 2016. As we strive for an open public participation process, please contact us with any questions. Thank you for visiting www.RecastingTheSmelter.com.
Site Custodial Trustee
El Paso, Inc. – Letter from the Publisher, by Tom Fenton
Please click here to read the letter regarding the Trustee’s efforts and current site timeline.
Updated 2016 Project Goals
Major Construction Items
- Construction of the final soil cover and surface water management system on the plant facility
- Construction of the Fines Pile soil cover sand surface water management system
- Construction of the lined Upper Reach Drainage Channel
- Construction of the Parker Brothers Arroyo outlet
- Coordination of drainage and grading construction activities associated with Border HY375
Key Regulatory Agency Items
- Response to TCEQ/USEPA comments on the Response Action Plan (RAP)
- Preparation and Submittal of the Response Action Completion Report for the soil remedy (RACR Soils) to TCEQ/USEPA for approval
A Community Meeting regarding the Former ASARCO Smelter Site was held on June 16, 2016. The purpose of this meeting was to inform the public of the current status of the site remediation. Please click here to view the Community Meeting Presentation.
Photo by David Crowder, El Paso, Inc.
Community Meeting Announcement
A Community Meeting regarding the Former ASARCO Smelter Site is currently being scheduled for June 16, 2016. The purpose of this meeting is to inform the public of the current status of the site remediation.
Downtown Main Library
501 N Oregon
El Paso, TX 79901
Additional information will be provided if available.
Visit the Trustâ€™s website: www.recastingthesmelter.com.